Professor of Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Professor of Soil, Water and Environmental Science
Professor of Public Health
Dr. Shane Snyder is a Professor of Chemical & Environmental Engineering, and holds joint appointments in the College of Agriculture and School of Public Health, at the University of Arizona. He also co-directs the Arizona Laboratory for Emerging Contaminants (ALEC) and the Water & Energy Sustainable Technology (WEST) Center. For nearly 20 years, Dr. Snyder’s research has focused on the identification, fate, and health relevance of emerging water pollutants. Dr. Snyder and his teams have published nearly 200 manuscripts and book chapters on emerging contaminant analysis, treatment, and toxicology, and he currently serves as an editor-in-chief for the international journal Chemosphere. Dr. Snyder has been invited to brief the Congress of the United States on three occasions on emerging issues in water quality. He has served on several US EPA expert panels and is currently a member of the EPA’s Science Advisory Board drinking water committee. He was recently appointed to the World Health Organization’s Drinking Water Advisory Panel and was a member of the US National Academy of Science’s National Research Council Committee on Water Reuse. Dr. Snyder also is a Visiting Professor at the National University of Singapore and an Adjunct Professor at the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology in South Korea.
- Ph.D. Environmental Toxicology - Zoology
- Michigan State University, Michigan, United States
- B.A. Chemistry
- Thiel College, Greenville, Pennsylvania, United States
- Elsevier Publishing (2014 - Ongoing)
- Southern Nevada Water Authority (2000 - 2010)
Water and Energy Systems
CHEE 204 (Spring 2017)
CHEE 204 (Spring 2016)
CHEE 299 (Spring 2017)
CHEE 399 (Fall 2016)
CHEE 499 (Spring 2017)
CHEE 499 (Fall 2016)
CHEE 599 (Spring 2019)
CHEE 599 (Spring 2016)
MCB 499 (Spring 2018)
Envirnmtl+Water Engr Lab
CE 370L (Spring 2016)
CHEE 370L (Spring 2016)
CE 370R (Spring 2016)
CHEE 370R (Spring 2016)
CHEM 392 (Fall 2019)
CHEM 392 (Spring 2018)
CHEM 392 (Spring 2017)
CHEM 492 (Spring 2019)
Emerging Envirn Contaminants
CHEE 482 (Spring 2017)
CHEE 582 (Spring 2017)
CHEE 900 (Spring 2018)
CHEE 900 (Fall 2017)
CHEE 900 (Spring 2017)
CHEE 900 (Fall 2016)
CHEE 900 (Spring 2016)
CHEE 909 (Spring 2019)
CHEE 909 (Spring 2018)
CHEE 909 (Spring 2017)
CHEE 909 (Fall 2016)
CHEE 909 (Spring 2016)
CHEE 910 (Fall 2018)
CHEE 910 (Fall 2017)
CHEE 910 (Fall 2016)
CHEE 910 (Spring 2016)
CHEE 920 (Fall 2020)
CHEE 920 (Spring 2020)
CHEE 920 (Fall 2019)
CHEE 920 (Spring 2019)
CHEE 920 (Fall 2018)
CHEE 920 (Spring 2018)
CHEE 920 (Fall 2017)
CHEE 920 (Spring 2017)
CHEE 920 (Fall 2016)
CHEE 920 (Spring 2016)
Licensure & Certification
- Board Certified Environmental Scientist, American Academy of Environmental Engineering and Scientists (2015)
- Cotruvo, J., Cotruvo, J. A., Cotruvo, J., Sobsey, M., Grabow, W., Reynolds, K., Cotruvo, J. A., Cotruvo, J. A., Amato, H., Smith, C., & others, . (2019). Potable Reuse: Guidance for producing safe drinking-water. In Drinking Water Quality and Contaminants Guidebook(pp xv--xvii). World Health Organization Boca Raton.
- Snyder, S. A., & Anumol, T. (2015). Emerging Chemical Contaminants: How Chemical Development Outpaces Impact Assessment. In Still Only One Earth(pp 187-206).
- Gerrity, D., & Snyder, S. (2012). Wastewater and drinking water treatment technologies. In Human Pharmaceuticals in the Environment(pp 225--255). Springer, New York, NY.
- Snyder, S. A. (2010). Occurrence of pharmaceuticals in US drinking water. In Contaminants of Emerging Concern in the Environment: Ecological and Human Health Considerations(pp 69--80). American Chemical Society.
- Snyder, S. A., Lei, H., & Wert, E. C. (2007). Removal of endocrine disruptors and pharmaceuticals during water treatment. In Fate of pharmaceuticals in the environment and in water treatment systems(pp 229--260). CRC Press.
- Sapozhnikova, Y., Schlenk, D., McElroy, A., & Snyder, S. (2005). Estrogenic activity measurement in wastewater using in vitro and in vivo methods. In Techniques in Aquatic Toxicology, Volume 2(pp 485--498). CRC Press.
- Vanderford, B. J., Pearson, R. A., Cody, R. B., Rexing, D. J., & Snyder, S. A. (2003). Determination of an unknown system contaminant using LC/MS/MS.
- Snyder, S. A., Kelly, K. L., Grange, A. H., Sovocool, G. W., Snyder, E. M., & Giesy, J. P. (2001). Pharmaceuticals and personal care products in the waters of Lake Mead, Nevada.
- Anumol, T., Wu, S., Santos, M. M., Daniels, K. D., & Snyder, S. A. (2019). Water Research & Technology.
- Durazo, A., Anumol, T., & Snyder, S. A. (2019). Determination of iopromide in environmental waters by ion chromatography-ICP-MS.
- Fujioka, T., Makabe, R., Mori, N., Snyder, S. A., & Leddy, M. (2019). Assessment of online bacterial particle counts for monitoring the performance of reverse osmosis membrane process in potable reuse. Science of The Total Environment, 667, 540--544.
- Gerrity, D., Gamage, S., Jones, D., Korshin, G., Lee, Y., Pisarenko, A., Trenholm, R. A., VON, U., GUNTEN, E. W., & Snyder, S. A. (2019). Development of Surrogate Correlation Models to Predict Trace Organic Contaminant Oxidation during Ozonation.
- Grigg, A., Karanfil, T., Najm, I. N., Owen, C. A., Rexing, D. J., Speth, T. F., Reichenberger, J. C., Snyder, E. M., Speitel, G. E., & Weinherg, H. S. (2019). Namerican Water Works Association.
- Koutsouba, V., Alder, A. C., Balk, F., Blok, H., Chou, Y. J., Daughton, C. G., Dietrich, D. R., Drewes, J. E., Epel, D., Fong, P. P., & others, . (2019). Knacker, Thomas, 304.
- Mason, R. P., Misran, A., Pope, F. D., Shi, Z., Snyder, S. A., Sottong, J., & Thistlethwaite, G. (2019). OX11 0QR, UK..
- Richardson, S. D., Postigo, C., Linge, K. L., Liew, D., Marti, E. J., Dickenson, E., Heitz, A., Joll, C. A., Li, X., Joll, C., & others, . (2019). Disinfection By-products Formation.
- STANFORD, B. D., PISARENKO, A. N., SNYDER, S. A., & GORDON, G. (2019). MiniMize Perchlorate.
- Simpson, M. J., Simpson, A. J., Gross, D., Spraul, M., Kingery, W. L., Qui~nones, O., Oh, J. E., Vanderford, B., Kim, J. H., Cho, J., & others, . (2019). Environmental Chemistry Evaluating Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons Using a Yeast Bioassay| 333 A. Alnafisi, J. Hughes, G. Wang, CA Miller III| H and" F Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Microimaging of Water and Chemical Distribution in Soil| 340|.
- Snyder, E. M. (2019). Recommendations for Future Research in Chemistry and Toxicology for the WaterReuse Foundation.
- Snyder, S., Wert, E. L., & Westerhoff, H. (2019). P. and Yoon Y.“. Removal of EDCs and Pharmaceuticals in Drinking and.
- Wu, S., Jia, A. i., Daniels, K. D., Park, M., & Snyder, S. A. (2019). Trace analysis of corticosteroids (CSs) in environmental waters by liquid chromatography--tandem mass spectrometry. Talanta, 195, 830--840.
- Young, M. H., Green, R. L., Conkle, J. L., McCullough, M., Devitt, D. A., Wright, L., Vanderford, B. J., & Snyder, S. A. (2019). Supplemental Material Field-Scale Monitoring of Pharmaceutical Compounds Applied to Active Golf Courses by Recycled Water.
- Zhang, A. i., Jia, A. i., Park, M., Li, Y., & Snyder, S. A. (2019). Genotoxicity assay and potential byproduct identification during different UV-based water treatment processes. Chemosphere, 217, 176--182.
- Drewes, J. E., Anderson, P., Denslow, N., Olivieri, A., Jakubowski, W., Schlenk, D., Snyder, S., Maruya, K., & Waggoner, C. (2018). Findings of the 2018 Science Advisory Panel on CECs in Recycled Water. In WateReuse California Annual Conference.
- Snyder, K., Mladenov, N., & Hoh, E. (2018). Photochemical Dissolution and Degradation of Industrial Crude Oil and Natural Seep Oil in Seawater. In AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts.
- Maruya, K., Mehinto, A., Raphael, M., Nelson, E., Hoh, E., Snyder, S., Fadness, R., & Lyons, J. M. (2017). Combining chemical and bioanalytical methods to screen for emerging contaminants in California's receiving waters. In ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 253.
- Snyder, K., Mladenov, N., Nour, A., Campbell, C., McConnell, M., Luna, R., & Hoh, E. (2017). Fluorescence spectroscopy for determining photochemical degradation rates of natural and industrial crude oil with DOC and GCxGC/TOF-MS analysis. In ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 253.
- Snyder, S. (2017). Exploring the great unknown: Role of NTA in ensuring water safety. In ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 253.
- Maruya, K., Dodder, N., Anumol, T., Snyder, S., Lao, W., Tsukada, D., & Drewes, J. E. (2015). Contaminants of emerging concern in effluent dominated coastal waterways in southern California. In American Chemical Society (ACS), Annual Meeting.
- Snyder, S. A., & Anumol, T. (2015). Emerging Chemical Contaminants: How Chemical Development Outpaces Impact Assessment. In Still Only One Earth: Progress in the 40 Years Since the First UN Conference on the Environment.
- Yan, S., Jia, A. i., Merel, S., Snyder, S., & Song, W. (2015). Ozone degradation of cylindrospermopsin (cyanotoxin): Degradation mechanisms and toxicity assessments. In ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 249.
- Anumol, T., Merel, S., & Snyder, S. A. (2014). Comparison of modern LC-MS/MS methods for analysis of emerging organic contaminants in water.
- Anumol, T., Merel, S., & Snyder, S. A. (2014). Comparison of modern LC-MS/MS methods for analysis of emerging organic contaminants in water. In ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 248.
- Merel, S., Anumol, T., & Snyder, S. (2014). Detection and identification of strategic water contaminants through untargeted analysis by time of flight mass spectrometry.
- Merel, S., Anumol, T., & Snyder, S. (2014). Detection and identification of strategic water contaminants through untargeted analysis by time of flight mass spectrometry. In ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 248.
- Roccaro, P., Sgroi, M., Anumol, T., Rock, C., & Snyder, S. (2014). Pilot scale investigation of AOP for the removal of emerging organic contaminants and pathogens.
- Roccaro, P., Sgroi, M., Anumol, T., Rock, C., & Snyder, S. (2014). Pilot scale investigation of AOP for the removal of emerging organic contaminants and pathogens. In ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 248.
- Sgroi, M., Roccaro, P., Anumol, T., Snyder, S. A., Korshin, G. V., & Vagliasindi, F. G. (2014). Occurrence and fate of contaminant of emerging concern in two semi-urbanized catchment basins in Sicily (Italy).
- Rock, C. M., & Snyder, S. A. (2017, July/Summer). Assessment of Techniques to Evaluate and Demonstrate the Safety of Water from Direct Potable Reuse Treatment Facilities: Perception versus Reality. 11th IWA International Conference on Water Reclamation and Reuse. Long Beach Convention Center: WateReuse Association.
- Mclain, J. E., Burke, K., Engelthaler, D. M., Hart, R. J., Hill, B., Pruden, A., Rock, C. M., & Snyder, S. A. (2015, May). Separating science from emotion in perceptions of recycled water: a case study of Flagstaff, Arizona. 88th Annual Conference. Glendale, Arizona: Arizona Water Association.
- Salveson, A., Trussell, S., & Macpherson, L. (2016). Guidelines for engineered storage for direct potable reuse.
- Andrews, N., Wills, J., & M"uller, C. (2015). Assessment of technology advancements for future energy reduction.
- Angelakis, A. N., & Snyder, S. A. (2015). Wastewater treatment and reuse: Past, present, and future.
- Harrison, R. M., & Hester, R. E. (2015). Still Only One Earth: Progress in the 40 Years Since the First UN Conference on the Environment.
- Millan, M., Tennyson, P. A., & Snyder, S. A. (2015). Model communication plans for increasing awareness and fostering acceptance of direct potable reuse.
- Cwiertny, D. M., Snyder, S. A., Schlenk, D., & Kolodziej, E. P. (2014). Environmental designer drugs: when transformation may not eliminate risk.
- Escher, B. I., Tang, J., Poulsen, A., Leusch, F., Snyder, S. A., & Jia, A. (2014). Development of bioanalytical techniques to assess the potential human health impacts of recycled water.
- Salveson, A., Steinle-Darling, E., Trussell, S., & Macpherson, L. (2014). Guidelines for Engineered Storage for Direct Potable Reuse.
- Macpherson, L., & Snyder, S. A. (2013). Downstream: Context, understanding, acceptance: Effect of prior knowledge of unplanned potable reuse on the acceptance of planned potable reuse.
- Quanrud, D. M., Snyder, S. A., Arnold, R. G., & Saez, A. E. (2013, May). Fate of Emerging Contaminants in an Effluent Dependent Stream: the Role of Suspended Solids and Sediments. Final project report. http://water.usgs.gov/wrri/2012grants/2012AZ492B.html
- Salveson, A. (2013). Trace Organic Compound Indicator Removal During Conventional Wastewater Treatment: WERF Report CEC4R08.
- Snyder, S. A. (2013). Use of UV and fluorescence spectra as surrogate measures for contaminant oxidation and disinfection in the ozone/H2O2 advanced oxidation process.
- Trussell, R. R., Salveson, A., Snyder, S. A., Trussell, R. S., Gerrity, D., & Pecson, B. M. (2013). Potable reuse: State of the science report and equivalency criteria for treatment trains.
- McCullough, M. D., McCullough, M. D., Devitt, D. A., Gan, J., Green, R., Snyder, S., Vanderford, B., & Young, M. H. (2012). Attenuation of PPCP/EDCs Through Golf Courses Using Recycled Water.
- Salveson, A., Rauch-Williams, T., Dickenson, E., Drewes, J., Drury, D., McAvoy, D., & Snyder, S. (2012). Trace organic compound indicator removal during conventional wastewater treatment.
- Agilent Thought Leader Award
- Agilent Technologies, Spring 2017
- Project of the Year Award, Arizona WateReuse Association: “Potable Reuse for Inland Locations: Pilot Testing Results from a New Potable Reuse Treatment Scheme” (Snyder as U. Arizona PI)
- Arizona WateReuse Association, Spring 2016
- Third most cited author from top 100 most impactful publications in field of pharmaceuticals in the environment (Sci. Total Environ., 562:391-426 – Figure 1).
- Science of the Total Environment, Spring 2016
- Quentin Mees Research Award
- Arizona Water Association, Spring 2016
- Dr. Pankaj Parekh Research Innovation Award
- Water Research Foundation, Spring 2015