Assistant Professor of Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Assistant Professor, BIO5 Institute
Andrea Achilli main fields of research are membrane processes for desalination and water reuse and energy recovery from water and wastewater. Additional field of his research focuses on process integration, modelling, and optimization and biological processes for water and wastewater treatments. Dr. Achilli is the principal investigator on several research processes on membrane contactor processes and hybrid systems for desalination and water reuse.
- Ph.D. Civil and Environmental Engineering
- University of Nevada, Reno, Nevada, United States
- Assistant Professor, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2017 - Ongoing)
- Assistant Professor, Humboldt State University, Arcata, California (2012 - 2017)
Licensure & Certification
- Profession Engineer, Nevada Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors (2012)
Environmental EngineeringWater and Wastewater TreatmentPhysicochemical ProcessesMass and Heat Transfer
Membrane Processes in Environmental ApplicationsWater and Wastewater TreatmentWater ReuseDesalinationProcess Design and Intensification
Ch E Plant Design
CHEE 443 (Spring 2019)
CHEE 920 (Spring 2019)
CHEE 920 (Fall 2018)
CHEE 920 (Spring 2018)
CHEE 399 (Fall 2018)
CHEE 299 (Spring 2018)
CHEE 499 (Spring 2018)
Chem Engr Design Prin
CHEE 442 (Fall 2018)
CHEE 910 (Fall 2018)
Honors Independent Study
CHEE 299H (Spring 2018)
- Armstrong, N. R., Shallcross, R. C., Ogden, K., Snyder, S., Achilli, A., & Armstrong, E. L. (2018). Challenges and opportunities at the nexus of energy, water, and food: A perspective from the southwest United States. MRS Energy & Sustainability, 5, E6.
- Morrow, C. P., Furtaw, N. M., Murphy, J. R., Achilli, A., Marchand, E. A., Hiibel, S. R., & Childress, A. E. (2018). Integrating an aerobic/anoxic osmotic membrane bioreactor with membrane distillation for potable reuse. DESALINATION, 432, 46-54.
- Rodman, K. E., Cervania, A. A., Budig-Markin, V., Schermesser, C. F., Rogers, O. W., Martinez, J. M., King, J., Hassett, P., Burns, J., Gonzales, M. S., Folkerts, A., Duin, P., Virgil, A. S., Aldrete, M., Lagasca, A., Infanzon-Marin, A., Aitchison, J. R., White, D., Boutros, B. C., , Ortega, S., et al. (2018). Coastal California Wastewater Effluent as a Resource for Seawater Desalination Brine Commingling. WATER, 10(3).
- Warsinger, D. M., Chakraborty, S., Tow, E. W., Plumlee, M. H., Bellona, C., Loutatidou, S., Karimi, L., Mikelonis, A. M., Achilli, A., Ghassemi, A., Padhye, L. P., Snyder, S. A., Curcio, S., Vecitis, C. D., Arafat, H. A., & Lienhard, J. (2018). A review of polymeric membranes and processes for potable water reuse. PROGRESS IN POLYMER SCIENCE, 81, 209-237.
- Achilli, A. (2016). A stepwise model of direct contact membrane distillation for application to large-scale systems: Experimental results and model predictions. Desalination.
- Achilli, A. (2016). River-to-sea pressure retarded osmosis: Resource utilization in a full-scale facility. Desalination.
- Achilli, A. (2015). Factors contributing to flux improvement in vacuum-enhanced direct contact membrane distillation. Desalination.
- Achilli, A. (2015). The osmotic membrane bioreactor: A critical review. Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology.
- Achilli, A. (2014). Experimental results from RO-PRO: A next generation system for low-energy desalination. Environmental Science and Technology.
- Achilli, A. (2014). RO-PRO desalination: An integrated low-energy approach to seawater desalination. Applied Energy.
- Achilli, A. (2013). Standard Methodology for Evaluating Membrane Performance in Osmotically Driven Membrane Processes. Desalination.
- Achilli, A. (2012). Organic ionic salt draw solutions for osmotic membrane bioreactors. Bioresource Technology.
- Achilli, A. (2011). A performance evaluation of three membrane bioreactor systems: Aerobic, anaerobic, and attached-growth. Water Science and Technology.
- Achilli, A. (2010). Pressure retarded osmosis: From the vision of Sidney Loeb to the first prototype installation - Review. Desalination.
- Achilli, A. (2010). Selection of inorganic-based draw solutions for forward osmosis applications. Journal of Membrane Science.
- Morrow, C. P., Furtaw, N. M., Achilli, A., Marchand, E. A., Hiibel, S. R., & Childress, A. E. (2018, March). Potable reuse with engineered osmosis; integrating an osmotic membrane bioreactor with membrane distillation. In AWWA/AMTA 2018 Membrane Technology Conference & Exposition.
- Furtaw, N. M., Ahmadiannamini, P., Morrow, C. P., Murphy, J. P., Dash, S., Park, C., Achilli, A., Childress, A. E., Marchand, E. A., & Hiibel, S. R. (2017, July). Application of a submerged forward osmosis membrane bioreactor paired with membrane distillation utilizing waste heat. In 11th IWA International Conference on Water Reclamation and Reuse.
- Jones, L., & Achilli, A. (2017, February). California's Desalination Amendment: Opportunities from the colocation of desal facilities with wastewater treatment plants. In AWWA/AMTA 2017 Membrane Technology Conference & Exposition.
- Achilli, A. (2014). Integration of reverse osmosis and pressure retarded osmosis to decrease energy expenditures in seawater desalination. In AWWA/AMTA 2014 Membrane Technology Conference and Exposition.
- Childress, A. E., Achilli, A., Hiibel, S. R., Marchand, E. A., & Park, C. (2017, November). A Fully Integrated Membrane Bioreactor System for Wastewater Treatment in Remote Applications. SERDP-ESTCP Symposium 2017.
- Achilli, A. (2017, May). Integrated membrane processes for water reuse and desalination. Workshop: Water Reuse Monitoring and Treatment Technologies.
- Achilli, A., & Hiibel, S. R. (2017, November). A Fully Integrated Membrane Bioreactor System for Wastewater Treatment in Remote Applications. Wastewater treatment technology project meeting (environmental restoration program area), SERDP-ESTCP Symposium 2017.
- Ahmadiannamini, P., Furtaw, N. M., Murphy, J. P., Morrow, C. P., Achilli, A., Marchand, E. A., Childress, A. E., & Hiibel, S. R. (2017, August). An integrated membrane pilot system for direct potable reuse. ICOM 2017.
- Furtaw, N. M., Ahmadiannamini, P., Morrow, C. P., Murphy, J. R., Dash, S., Park, C., Achilli, A., Childress, A. E., Hiibel, S. R., & Marchand, E. A. (2017, April). Application of a submerged forward osmosis membrane bioreactor paired with membrane distillation utilizing waste heat. 2017 Nevada Water Environment Association Annual Conference.
- O'Toole, G., & Achilli, A. (2017, August). Optimizing operating parameters for minimum net energy consumption in a pilot-scale SWRO-PRO system. ICOM 2017.