Assistant Professor of Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Prior to her assistant professor position at the ChEE UA, Dr. Vicky Karanikola was a postdoctoral fellow at the Chemical and Environmental Engineering department at Yale University. Dr. Karanikola has an interdisciplinary engineering background combining a BS in Mechanical Engineering from the Technological Educational Institute of Central Macedonia, Greece an MSc degree in Civil Engineering from San Diego State University (SDSU), and both MSc and PhD degrees in Environmental Engineering from the UA. Her PhD research focused on off-grid water and wastewater treatment through hybrid thermal processes (Membrane Distillation) and Nanofiltration. During her postdoctoral appointment she focused on membrane material synthesis and modification for water and wastewater treatment.
Alongside with her academic career, she is very strongly involved with EWB (Engineers without Borders), an organization that works on engineering projects in developing communities. She served as the mentor of the UA chapter and is currently involved with the EWB-USA headquarters as the vice president of the EWB Mountain Region Steering Committee. Dr. Karanikola's research work with marginalized communities at Tribal Nations was recently recognized with the Agnese Nelms Haury Program in Environment and Social Justice Faculty fellowship.
- Ph.D. Environmental Engineering
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, United States
- Membrane Distillation: Parametric Studies and Numerical Simulations for Hollow Fiber and Flat Sheet Membranes
- M.S. Environmental Engineering
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, United States
- Sweeping gas membranedistillation : Numerical simulation of massand heat transfer in a hollow fiber membrane module
- M.S. Civil Engineering
- San Diego State University, San Diego, California, United States
- PLANKTON FILTRATION WITH FLEXIBLE PARTICULATE PACKS
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering
- Technological Educational Institute of Central Macedonia, Serres, Serres, Greece
Intro to Env Eng
CHEE 270 (Fall 2021)
CHEE 270 (Spring 2021)
CHEE 270 (Spring 2020)
Careers in Environmental Eng
CHEE 295E (Fall 2016)
CHEE 295E (Spring 2016)
CHEE 299 (Spring 2020)
CHEE 499 (Fall 2019)
CHEE 599 (Spring 2021)
CHEE 599 (Fall 2020)
CHEE 599 (Fall 2019)
Envirnmtl+Water Engr Lab
CE 370L (Spring 2017)
CHEE 370L (Spring 2017)
CE 370R (Spring 2017)
CHEE 370R (Spring 2017)
Honors Independent Study
CHEE 399H (Spring 2021)
CHEE 399H (Spring 2020)
Environmental Engineering Lab
CHEE 400B (Spring 2017)
CHEE 900 (Fall 2021)
CHEE 900 (Spring 2021)
CHEE 900 (Fall 2020)
CHEE 900 (Fall 2019)
CHEE 909 (Spring 2021)
CHEE 910 (Fall 2021)
CHEE 910 (Spring 2021)
CHEE 920 (Spring 2021)
CHEE 920 (Fall 2020)
CHEE 920 (Spring 2020)
CHEE 920 (Fall 2019)
- Borovik, A., Karanikola, V., & Zucker, I. (2020). Platform selection of engineered nanomaterials for water decontamination applications. Environ. Sci.: Nano, 7, 3641-3654.
- Shaulsky, E., Wang, Z., Deshmukh, A., Karanikola, V., & Elimelech, M. (2020). Membrane distillation assisted by heat pump for improved desalination energy efficiency. Desalination, 496, 114694.
- Dizge, N., Shaulsky, E., & Karanikola, V. (2019). Electrospun cellulose nanofibers for superhydrophobic and oleophobic membranes. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE, 590.
- Karanikola, V., Moore, S. E., Deshmukh, A., Arnold, R. G., Elimelech, M., & SÃ¡ez, A. E. (2019). Economic performance of membrane distillation configurations in optimal solar thermal desalination systems. Desalination, 472, 114164.
- Shaulsky, E., Karanikola, V., Straub, A. P., Deshmukh, A., Zucker, I., & Elimelech, M. (2019). Asymmetric membranes for membrane distillation and thermo-osmotic energy conversion. DESALINATION, 452, 141-148.
- Deshmukh, A., Boo, C., Karanikola, V., Lin, S., Straub, A. P., Tong, T., Warsinger, D. M., & Elimelech, M. (2018). Membrane distillation at the water-energy nexus: limits, opportunities, and challenges. ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, 11(5), 1177-1196.
- Karanikola, V., Boo, C., Rolf, J., & Elimelech, M. (2018). Engineered Slippery Surface to Mitigate Gypsum Scaling in Membrane Distillation for Treatment of Hypersaline Industrial Wastewaters. ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, 52(24), 14362-14370.
- Li, M., Karanikola, V., Zhang, X., Wang, L., & Elimelech, M. (2018). A Self-Standing, Support-Free Membrane for Forward Osmosis with No Internal Concentration Polarization. ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY LETTERS, 5(5), 266-271.
- Moore, S. E., Ma, L., Potzler, M., Bish, J., Karanikola, V., Prevatt, J., Arnold, R. G., & Saez, A. E. (2018). Sustainable Struvite Control Using Carbon Dioxide. JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING, 144(12).
- Moore, S. E., Mirchandani, S. D., Karanikola, V., Nenoff, T. M., Arnold, R. G., & Saez, A. E. (2018). Process modeling for economic optimization of a solar driven sweeping gas membrane distillation desalination system. DESALINATION, 437, 108-120.
- Moore, S., Mirchandani, S., Karanikola, V., Nenoff, T., Arnold, R., & Saez, A. (2018). Process modeling and economic optimization of a solar driven membrane distillation system for desalination. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 255.
- Karanikola, V., Corral, A. F., Jiang, H., Saez, A. E., Ela, W. P., & Arnold, R. G. (2017). Effects of membrane structure and operational variables on membrane distillation performance. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE, 524, 87-96.
- Moores, S., Ma, L., Karanikola, V., Arnold, R., Saez, A., Moulis, D., Bish, J., & Prevatt, J. (2017). Sustainable struvite control and recovery in wastewater treatment plants using residual biogas. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 253.
- Karanikola, V., Corral, A. F., Jiang, H., Saez, A. E., Ela, W. P., & Arnold, R. G. (2015). Sweeping gas membrane distillation: Numerical simulation of mass and heat transfer in a hollow fiber membrane module. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE, 483, 15-24.
- Karanikola, V., Ngo, A. T., & Valdes, J. R. (2011). Plankton filtration with compressible crumb rubber packs. CHEMOSPHERE, 82(4), 597-602.
- Early Career Scholars Award
- University of Arizona Provost Office, Spring 2020
- Haury Program-Faculty Fellowship
- Agnese Nelms Haury Program in Environment and Social Justice, Spring 2017
- WPI STEM Faculty launch fellowship
- WPI University, Fall 2016
- 2017 Faculty Fellow for Agnese Nelms Haury Program in Environment and Social Justice
- Arizona Foundation, Fall 2016